Department of Information and Computer Engineering
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Lexical annotation of schema elements can improve effectiveness of schema matching [SB 2009]. However, it cannot be applied for those schema elements, that contain abbreviations. In this work we address this problem by providing a new technique for abbreviation expansion in context of schema of structured and semi-structured data.
[SB 2009] Sonia Bergamaschi, Laura Po, and Serena Sorrentino. Automatic annotation for mapping discovery in data integration systems. In Sixteenth Italian Symposium on Advanced Database Systems (SEBD 2008). (2008) 334-341
- "Schema Normalization for Improving Schema Matching" Sonia Bergamaschi, Maciej Gawinecki, and Serena Sorrentino. ER 2009 (submitted)
- "Abbreviation Expansion In Lexical Annotation of Schema" Maciej Gawinecki. Extended abstract. SEBD 2009 (submitted).
- "On Selecting Online Abbreviation Dictionary." Maciej Gawinecki. Technical Report, ICT School, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 2009.
Our approach uses a number of sources:
- A mapping from categorization system of Abbreviations.com online dictionary to WordNet Domains 3.1. The comments on mapping particular categories can be found in here.
- A user-defined abbreviation dictionary containing standard schema prefixes and suffixes.